Saturday, November 29, 2008

Ramblings

Well it's past 1am on Saturday morning & I can't sleep... so I thought I'd put up a post. Our plans for the day include taking David to hang out with his Grandma & Grandpa Jorgensen while Jamin & I head to the cannery in Portland to stock up on some dry goods. (so we'll be up early & I'll need a diet coke!) Then we'll take our time to break into the Christmas season & decorate our tree & home for the holidays. (We already got out the Christmas pillowcases that we received as a gift from Jeri last year!(

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday with Jamin's family & David even got mashed potatoes in Grandma's hair! That was certainly a funny moment as he was enjoying his own version of Thanksgiving dinner & Jeri was fishing for the spoon he kept chucking on the floor. Later that evening, David caught up with his other local Grandma, my mom, before we sat down to hatch our Black Friday game plan. My mom & I were up early early on Friday morning (she never went to bed & I had a 2 hour nap) for shopping. A few hours & dollars later & I got some good deals on the few presents we're purchasing this year, including some fun toys for David.
A new kind of Christmas for Jamin & I has begun - one that is all about the kiddos now. I know David won't remember a thing or really know what's going on, but we're excited about his first Christmas. He'll be 6 months old on Christmas Eve! We are looking forward to taking the best things, memories/traditions of our childhoods & give them to him. It will be so much fun over the years to experience Christmas through our children's eyes. And now is when we start to mold what that view will be. One that shows Christmas is about much more than decorated trees & gifts.. that it is a celebration of the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ. What we want him to remember & know about the important things in life. I am so grateful for our family, for what they have taught us & given us to embark out on our own. What a journey it is - and this is merely the beginning!
It's interesting how our lives have evolved since meeting & getting married & now becoming parents. We became our own little family unit on the day we were married, nearly three years ago. But we didn't really take that concept to heart until David joined us a few months ago. It feels like he's been a part of us forever & at the same time, it feels like just yesterday he was born. Now everything we do & hope for & plan for is for him & his future. I really appreciate a talk from President Monson from October General Conference: "Finding Joy in the Journey". It's not just about enduring through life, but appreciating what we are here for & finding joy & gratitude through living our daily lives. It's a wonderful talk that you can read by clicking the link. Sending you all love & hugs!

(photo is from our July trip to the temple when David was about a month old)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: